Thursday, March 1, 2018

oNe PhOtO a DaY fEbRuArY 2018


THE PROMPTS FOR THE MONTH


THURSDAY 1st TODAY IS...: the end of an era. I lost a sliver charm of the Chinese character fu- “, which I have worn in my ear for almost 30 years. To stop myself thinking about it, I decided to think of 100 things over that period of time that I am grateful for while swimming laps this afternoon. Now we are home and I have hung this “Om” in its place in the sleeper. So today is also the beginning of an era. I hope I get to wear this one for just as long if not longer than the last


FRIDAY 2nd PLAY: We had a play-day in Kampot today and along with household goods and supplies and a few essentials and treats for us, we stocked up with treats, stationery and playthings for our little monks. This is just a small selection of the bootie


SATURDAY 3rd SMELL: The delicious smell of Chinese food currently fills the house. Inspired by purchases of ingredients we found in the market in Kampot yesterday I started by making Lotus Root Salad first this morning and continued with a dish I call Beijing Salad. It’s made from cooked tofu skins and will have raw veggies added when it cools. Because of the smells, I’m now hungry even though we almost never eat lunch


SUNDAY 4th YES: Today we said yes to spending Sunday morning making resources to teach our little monks. When you don’t work full time it’s not so onerous to give up part of the weekends


MONDAY 5th THREE: delicious pieces of the Vegan chocolate cake (with a texture more like brownies!!) which I donated to our neighbour honouring my vow to give away half of everything I bake. It was a real treat too


TUESDAY 6th SKYLINE: At sunset near the crab market in Kep today the skyline was awash with pink and the sun was a luminous red ball


WEDNESDAY 7th DOORWAY: The Khmer style back entrance doorway to the first hotel we ever stayed in, in Kep. I don’t think it is ever used but its atmosphere of former grandeur evokes Angkor Wat and romantic nostalgia. It was here that we fell in love with the location and decided to live in this lovely seaside town


THURSDAY 8th BEAUTIFUL:  It’s rare to have cut flowers in the house here but when I saw these beautiful lotus blooms in the market this morning, I couldn’t resist them. I know they are meant for altar offerings but they do look beautiful in our living room


FRIDAY 9th PINK: This is the inside of the beautiful lotus blooms I purchased and posted yesterday. They have opened up like delicate balloons now and I am hoping to dry the seedpods inside


SATURDAY 10th ON THE TABLE: The results of this morning’s baking are now on the table! Shortbread with walnuts, known as Russian Teacakes. I haven’t made this original recipe since leaving Australia as I usually adapt it to contain cashews or chocolate chips as they are more readily available


SUNDAY 11th BEGINS WITH T: Due to this prompt we rode our bike out for a bit of local temple and exploring today. There is still plenty for us to discover in Kep


MONDAY 12th MY INSPIRATION: comes from beautiful words that speak to my heart, the friends and family who support and encourage me, the many children and young people I have had the privilege to teach and learn from, the travel experiences that have forever expanded my perception of the world and the astounding beauty and ever changing face of nature


TUESDAY 13th BRIGHT: I’m not sure what the specific use of this bright shining ornament in the monastery is, but I’m pretty sure it is not what Gam is using it for. That guilty expression is a dead give away


WEDNESDAY 14th I LOVE: Ian; as simple as that - the love of my life


THURSDAY 15th BLACK & WHITE: Monochrome has always been a favourite dress style of mine and these are the last two clothing purchases I made in Kampot, against a background of the one remaining Kira from Bhutan, I still have in my possession


FRIDAY 16TH TRAVEL: My biggest addiction is travel and we have always celebrated every birthday and significant life event and anniversary by travelling somewhere new, but with deep concern for the environment, I sold my last car in 1989 and its is the humble bicycle that fulfils our daily travel needs.  This second-hand Japanese ‘shopping’ bike was one of our first purchases in Phnom Penh and it serves me well with its adapted local basket for carrying the marketing and teaching resources. Ian has a near identical one and they represent the best $100 we spent last year. We average 15-20 kilometres a day and sometimes just get on the bikes and take a spin at twilight because we can and because there is nothing quiet like the wind in your hair and a good 'coddiwomple'


SATURDAY 17th IN THE DETAILS: I think creating delicious food is all in the details. These are the ingredients for one of the two fillings for the dumplings we made for a Chinese New Year celebration today


SUNDAY 18th STRIPES: since this weekend has largely been spent in the kitchen what came to mind is the delicate stripes of the pattern in one of our Japanese recycle shop plates


MONDAY 19th BENEATH MY FEET: This prompt made me start to think about the many surfaces beneath my feet on a regular basis and how much of the time I’m barefoot. This is a snap shot of the dozen or so that featured today



TUESDAY 20th TIME: We are at Kep Garden School today and our day, like the kid’s day is divided into playtime, lunchtime, class time and home time


WEDNESDAY 21st TWIRL: Spaghetti for dinner and twirled around chopsticks. Very few meals are not consumed with chopsticks in this house


THURSDAY 22nd LITTLE: Grateful to have these little guys in our lives


FRIDAY 23rd DEPTH OF FIELD: A custard apple growing in the magnificent garden at Maison de Yaya where we swim


SATURDAY 24th ARCHITECTURE: There are many formerly grand colonial residences now in ruins scattered around Kep but the architecture of this particular one intrigues me. I wonder was it a school, offices or a community centre..


SUNDAY 25th MY FACE: reflected in the mirror in our bedroom. It’s rare for me to wear makeup these days. I snapped this shot just before leaving home for an equally rare Saturday night out in Kep last night


MONDAY 26th NEED/ WANT: This prompt has had me feeling blessed all day. We are fortunate to lead simple lives and be able to afford almost everything we want. I need coffee to start the day, but want for nothing. I was inspired today to pack a picnic lunch and cycle to the end of the coastal road where the mangroves meet the road in a dead end. We need to appreciate all we have and want less


TUESDAY 27th SOMETHING OLD: and very beautiful is the Banyan Tree which stands in front of the Kep Secondary School almost directly opposite our home


WEDNESDAY 28th STREET: The main coastal street in Kep is quiet and tranquil on a Wednesday morning but come the weekend or any public holiday, the beach teems with swimmers and sunbathers, the shady spots under the trees are packed with crab eating picnickers and the road is crammed with motorcycle vendors wending their way through near standstill traffic and double parked vehicles. I know I prefer our quiet, contemplative midweek beachside cycling along this street


No comments:

Post a Comment